Monday, March 10, 2008

The more things change...

This just in: Vampire Weekend is the modern equivalent of Haircut 100.





I’m not saying this to marginalize them. I think they’re a decent band. But don’t fool yourself into thinking they’ve got some decade-plus career in front of them. They almost certainly don’t.

Big today doesn’t mean big tomorrow. Remember Jesus Jones in the early ‘90s? You couldn’t escape “Right Here, Right Now” short of putting a handgun in your mouth.

Plus, Vampire Weekend’s niche sound nearly ensures no one will want to hear them 18 months from now.

I’m just sayin’.

Clip courtesy of Ben.

4 comments:

Ben said...

Can't say I totally agree with you. Vampire Weekend is likely a short-term phenomenon, but they've already lived up to enough hype to kill most bands several times over.

These guys were being trumpeted in the New York Times months before they ever set foot in a recording studio and months before anyone west of Orange, NJ had any way of hearing them.

They are a pretty good band and while their sound is certainly not revolutionary, they have a pretty good thing going for now. I give them a few albums at least before they peter out. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to hear a bit of a sound change by the time album two arrives.

Oh and thank god the sax is no longer in.

Anonymous said...

I remember one time I told someone that Chumbawumba was a one-hit wonder, and got a near-violent response in that band's defense. Where's your Chumbawumba t-shirt now, Ben? Where is it NOW!?!?!?!? - DY

Mark Hall said...

Don't get me wrong. I think VW is a fine band, but their biggest asset today is their unique sound. And that asset becomes their biggest liability tomorrow.

I don't think their success will last simply because they're likely to be so strongly associated with 2007/08.

Shannon said...

do you think that the lyrics from M79 sound faintly like anything from Aveo's Battery album? just thinking...