Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Double your pleasure

Flipping through a magazine not long ago I was really struck by the simplicity of this ad* for Camper shoes. Clean layout, no copy, interesting logo placement, product included but not overpowering the ad. I really liked the restraint and what I felt was the intelligence of it.

Then I turned the page and got the follow-up. Cool and interesting, and surely more interruptive. And yet, I suddenly liked the whole thing less.

I’m not saying they’d be better ads without the sequential build (and half the media spend), but I guess it’s an example of different strokes for different folks. And a reminder that in advertising there are often many right answers (and even more wrong ones).

The trick is finding the most-right answer for the target.


* I know these ads came out a few months ago, but I’m only just now getting around to writing about them. Deal with it.

Other Camper executions here and here.

No comments: