Thursday, March 20, 2008

How much comfort can one man stand?

Here it is. The long awaited follow up to Sunday’s post about Milky Way candy bars.

As promised, I bought myself a Milky Way bar, regular size, from a newsstand at Denver International Airport on Sunday, in preparation for my flight to Seattle. Once we were airborne and my row-mates had fallen asleep, I unwrapped the Milky Way, cleared my mind, and took a bite.

Not surprisingly, a Milky Way isn’t very good for you. A regular size bar delivers 260 calories contains 7 grams of saturated fat (35% of your RDA). Reading the nutrition information on the wrapper I thought back to the ‘80s tagline, “A Milky Way a day helps you work, rest and play.” One a day?! Are you kidding me?!

I must say it was a soft and chewy experience. Perhaps a little too chewy. (The latest versions feature “more caramel,” which isn’t a draw for me). It’s a rich candy bar. By the time I got to the last third of it, I started feeling like I was polishing off a large, dense chocolate torte.

When it was over, I was glad to be done with it.

But I do see how someone at Mars landed on the idea of comfort. Maybe they should co-op with La-Z-Boy*, another comfort marketer, and promote eating Milky Ways while reclining in cushioned pleather. Because when I was done with mine, I was ready to sit back, relax and enjoy my flight.**


* I would have linked to the latest La-Z-Boy spot with the giant pot pie, but I couldn’t find it. It’s dumb, but that spot slays me.
** Airlines need to stop saying this to their passengers. It’s not 1975, folks.

No comments: