Friday, October 3, 2008

Thank God it’s Friday’s song of the day

A few weeks ago I had the chance to see Meiko, a singer songwriter from LA, perform at a small club in Manhattan. Meiko is funny, quirky and sexy (in a way that reminds me a bit of Liz Phair, though not quite so dirty). Her music can be a little over-simple for my taste, but whatever, I’m an ass sometimes.

At the show, she played an unreleased song called “You and Onions.” Daytrotter had her in for an interview and some live performances and she played the song again. Here she is with the story behind the tune:

“My friend was in film school and had to write and direct a short film. She had this great idea—a story to be about a guy who gets off work, buys a hot dog from a stand and gets really sick. He passes out, and it goes into a dream sequence where this gigantic hot dog girl is waking him up, and they fall in love. I offered to play the hot dog girl and was inspired to write this song. It played during the sex scene that involved ketchup and mustard.”

If that doesn’t merit being song of the day I don’t know what does.

Listen here:












And read the Daytrotter interview and check out her other songs here.


Oh, and yes, she is that hot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Approved.

- BM