Friday, February 29, 2008

Thank God it’s Friday’s song of the day

I can’t think of an indie band that’s had such high expectations for its first album as Grand Archives (though I’m not really trying).

When the word got out that Mat Brooke (ex-Band of Horses and -Carissa’s Wierd) had a new group, I get the sense that all the Horses fans started salivating in anticipation of Band of Horses 2.0.

From their bio on Sub-Pop’s website: “At their first show, Grand Archives were bottom band on a mid-week bill. They played five songs. Next time they performed, it was supporting Modest Mouse at Seattle’s historic Paramount Theater.” Yeah, there was a little excitement about these guys.

While Grand Archives do have some qualities in common with BoH (as is their texting shorthand), they are not Horses part deux. Brooke’s new outfit has more of a “summer of love” vibe with the multi-layered vocals and cheery structure. Or at least they do on “Torn Blue Foam Couch” from the just-released debut.

I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. You listen; you decide.




Oh, and while I haven’t made up my mind about this song, I have decided that the track Ben posted a couple days ago from Bon Iver is the most beautiful song I’ve heard in at least a year.

Check it out here.

No comments: