Saturday, June 28, 2008

Thank God it’s Friday’s song of the day... on Saturday!

No one will be surprised when I say things move quickly in New York. One of the things I’ve had trouble with since moving here almost two months ago is concert attendance.

I missed Frightened Rabbit because I didn’t expect the show to sell out and didn’t realize the tiny club sold advance tickets. I was slow to respond to news of Liz Phair’s acoustic performances of Exile In Guyville and of course they sold out before I could get a ticket. I also didn’t get tickets for My Bloody Valentine’s upcoming September shows, though I think I might still be able to.

This has become a chronic problem.*

Add to that list the shows that the reunited Feelies are playing at their old haunt, Maxwell’s, in Hoboken, on Monday and Tuesday.

I’m not going to claim that I’m some diehard fan of the Feelies, or that I’ve listened to them for years. I’m not, and I haven’t. But I am a fan of indie rock and its history, and a lot of the music I like today has roots in the Feelies. And I do like a lot of their stuff.

But once again I didn’t react or didn’t get the word and I am ticket-less. There aren’t even any for sale on craigslist. Argh.

So to soothe my pain at not being able to go to the show, and to hopefully turn some of you on to a seminal but sorely overlooked band, and to mark the 100th post of this blog with something that’s not just “the latest thing,” today I bring you “It’s Only Life” by the Feelies.

Side note for fellow music nerds: Following the disbanding of the Feelies, drummer Stanley Demeski would join Dean Wareham in Luna. “It’s Only Life” certainly has some of that familiar Luna (and Lou Reed) sound. Even the guitars sound Luna-esque.

Anyway, here it is. Enjoy.



And thanks to Ben for his kind words over at ICBINB!


* However, it looks like I’ll get the see the Oranges Band open for the Smoking Popes next Saturday. Wahoo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frightened Rabbit at Nectar a couple of weeks ago. Missed you.